Thursday, August 20, 2009

On redemption and second chances


It’s been a week since my beloved Philadelphia Eagles shocked the sports world by signing convicted felon Michael Vick to a two-year contract. I’ve waited to comment on this story because I needed the time to process how I feel about my team being the one to provide a second chance to someone who did what Vick did.

Here’s what I’ve come up with: an employee’s opportunity for a second chance is proportional to one’s ability and talent. Something to consider the next time an employee makes an colossal blunder – does the employee have enough value to your organization to warrant a second chance?

For more thoughts on what Michael Vick has to do with employment law, I recommend my fellow bloggers:


Presented by Kohrman Jackson & Krantz, with offices in Cleveland and Columbus.

For more information, contact Jon Hyman, a partner in our Labor & Employment group, at (216) 736-7226 or jth@kjk.com.